On this trip, you will learn about coffee-growing, harvesting, and roasting as you tour the property and see all the stages of the process--from seedling to fragrant steaming cup.
And, of course, you will taste some of the world's best quality coffee, grown right here at the beautiful hacienda Espiritu Santo.
After your coffee tasting, you will travel to Sarchi, a neighboring center of this country's artists and artisans. You will stop for lunch first at a typical, local restaurant. After lunch, you will continue your exploration of the town.
In the enchanting village of Sarchí, many houses are adorned with colorful gingerbread trim--just one example of the wood craftsmanship for which this little town is famous. With its pink church, trimmed in pale green, it is truly a fairy tale town.
In its many souvenir shops, you will find an astounding array of crafts and other wooden products, as well as items made of cloth, glass, bronze, and other materials, making gift choices a delightful challenge.
It is here, in Sarchi, where you will see craftsmen meticulously hand painting the colorful oxcarts and oxcart wheels that you will see elsewhere in Costa Rica.
Departures: 08:30 AM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: - Please note that in Costa Rica there is some confusion about ship time vs. local time. Please see the purser on your ship to clarify whether your ship changes its time to local time so you do not miss your excursion. It is your responsibility to confirm this while you are sailing.
- While your transfer will be private, we cannot guarantee that the tour will be private.
- A vegetarian lunch option is available by prior arrangement.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes and light clothing.
- Bring a raincoat or umbrella, a jacket or sweater, and a hat.
- The rainy or “green season,” which typically brings sunny mornings and afternoon showers, lasts from May to November, but it's best to be prepared for rain at any time of the year.
- Transportation for 2-7 passengers will be in a minivan with a guide/driver.
- Transportation for 8-20 passengers will be in a minibus with a guide and a driver.
- Transfer from port to plantation and return from the oxcart factories takes approximately 1.5 hours each way.