From here you will take a journey through areas of extreme contrasts: bird life, flora, lava fields, geothermal activity, geology and saga speak to those differences.
You will continue on to Lake Mývatn, seeing the mysterious Dimmuborgir, also called Dark Cities, first. Dimmuborgir is a large area of unusually shaped lava fields east of Mývatn. The Dimmuborgir area is composed of various volcanic caves and rock formations, reminiscent of an ancient collapsed citadel. The dramatic structures are one of Iceland's most popular natural tourist attractions and you will enjoy hearing of the sagas and tales that accompany the lava-pillars.
You would not expect this, a warm underground river, but this is common in Iceland. The geothermal spring in the Grjotagja rift was once popular for bathing but the temperature became too hot after the eruptions.
See it, learn about the geothermal springs all over Iceland, then move on to the Myvatn Naturebaths which are located in a geothermal area just east of the Grjotagja rift and west of the colourful Namafjall mountain. Now in a relaxing setting, enjoy the natural pool of geothermal water based in the middle of the lava fields. Here you will have a great view of Lake Mývatn while your aches and pains heal in the special sulfur water.
Much of these sights have been part of the Game of Thrones filming and no doubt you will recognize them and even have a chance to pose with some during this journey.
Departures: 08:00 AM, 09:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 10:15 AM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: - Entrance to Lake Mytvatn is included in tour cost.
- As this is a private tour, you are able to modify as per your interests. This is our suggested itinerary and it is best to know in advance if you have any specific requests.
- Please bring your bathing suit and a towel if you are participating in the thermal baths. If you are interested in adding special services such as a bathrobe, towel, wine, lunch to your excursion, contact ShoreTrips.
- Weather is unpredictable and you should wear warm clothes in layers and waterproof shoes.
- A break for refreshments is taken at a local restaurant or café and is not included in the cost unless you purchase the optional fields during your booking process.
- We suggest you bring a bottle of water.
- This is an easy and enjoyable tour for most ages. The longest walking time is 20 minutes.
- You will want your camera.