This full-day guided tour will include well-known places of interest on Jewish life and history in the eastern and western parts of the city, as well as lesser known, hidden sights. The day's itinerary will be determined by your interests, museum hours, and events of the day, and may include:
- Walk through the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, which opened in 2005. This somber spot occupies a space the size of a football field and its information center brings this tragic period in history to life, revealing fates of individuals and entire families.
- Take in the Neue Synagoge, built between 1859 and 1866 in an interesting hodge-podge of styles. The synagogue’s faintly Middle Eastern appearance is accentuated by its bulbous, gilded cupola. With a seating capacity of 3,200, this was the largest synagogue in Europe at the time of its opening. The building was badly damaged during WWII and wasn’t restored until 40 years later. An exhibit documents the history of the building and its congregation.
- A visit to the Jewish Museum will take you through the history of Germany’s Jews over the last 2,000 years, with an emphasis on contributions to culture, art, science, and other fields. All is chronicled here. The building itself, designed by architect Daniel Libeskind, is an exciting, imaginative example of 20th century architecture.
- Tour Berlin's Old Jewish Quarter, including the cemetery with Moses Mendelssohn's grave.
- Visit the site of the Nazi Secret State Police and notorious Gestapo headquarters, now an open-air exhibit called "Topography of Terror."
Take a lunch break at the Jewish Museum, KaDeWe (the largest department store in continental Europe, and formerly Jewish-owned), or at a trendy Art Noveau restaurant.
Departures: 08:00 AM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: Vehicle descriptions: Audi A3 - compact car Audi A4 - mid-size car Mercedes E - mid-size luxury car with nice leg room Mercedes S - large, luxury car Standard van - such as a VW Luxury van - such as a Mercedes Standard bus - regular tourist bus Luxury bus - such as a Mercedes Luxury bus - such as a Mercedes