Begin your introduction to Saint John with a greeting from your guides. Whether you are experienced in kayaking or a first-timer, you will find this outfitter perfect for both situations. No experience is necessary to have fun on this guided safari and you will be armed with the safety information as well as all equipment before embarking on this adventure.
As you approach the shores of the city of “Saint John”, you will learn of the importance of this weather-friendly harbor. In 1524 the harbor was first entered by the Spanish yet it is possible that this area was discovered first by the Basques. No definite claims have been made to have been the 'first' here. The English settled here as did some Americans, Benedict Arnold for example. It provided a freeze-proof harbor, so valued at the time. But time delivered some major blows, among them a huge fire and a declining lumber business.
Regardless, the river still provides a beautiful landscape and many opportunities. The shore line echos with the ghosts of the river relics. You will be paddling an Ice Age river where 15,000 years ago the last glacier forced the river to find a new route. This change created the Reversing Falls Rapids and the subsequent gorge.
Unique to this tour, you will be kayaking in a lime stone quarry with over 850 million year old marble. The first documented Precambrian fossil, known as a stromatolite, is here and documented in scientific literature. While enjoying your kayaking, which will last between 1.5 and 2 hours, you will find ample time to take some photos. Your guides know what's going on here and any changes so you will pause for a photo op at the historic lighthouse but also to see the local wildlife. New nests built by bald eagles will be on the radar. Altogether, this is more than interesting and can be a bucket list kayaking choice.
Departures: 09:00 AM, 01:00 PM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: - This is a small tour with limited space.
- This is a moderate to strenuous activity. Kayak portion takes 1.5-2 hours, depending on ability.
- It is recommended that you wear layered clothing, including a waterproof windbreaker, comfortable footwear that can get wet, a change of clothing in case you get wet, sunscreen, and a hat.
- Due to the salt content (brackish water) in the Bay of Fundy and the River system, we recommend that you wear old clothing.
- All kayaks are doubles. You must have previous kayaking experience for single kayaks.
- Light refreshments are included.
- Picnic lunch can be added. Please contact ShoreTrips if you are interested.