Since the boat is your own during this 2.5-3 hour portion of the tour, you can request a stop at the Green Grotto to sample the warm water or, if the water is calm, a visit to the famous Blue Grotto. If you decide to take the boat ride into the Blue Grotto, the crew will facilitate the transfer and there will be an additional cost.
Disembarking the boat, you'll be escorted up the funicular, a peculiar form of railway. Walk to the Gardens of Caesar Augustus or to the Punta Tragara, both very easy walks. Or, if you prefer something a little more challenging, head up to the Villa Jovis to visit the ruins of Tiberius' most important imperial villa and then continue to the Natural Arch.
If you choose the more challenging walk, it will take longer and will reduce your time in Anacapri, where you have a choice of two adventures. For those unafraid of heights, a chairlift may be the absolute highlight of your day. It takes about 20 minutes to reach the top in single chairs silently gliding through the sky with amazing vistas of the bluest Mediterranean seas and the whitest, highest cliffs with colourful houses perched in the most impossible places.
The second option takes you to Villa San Michele, the charming former home of Swedish doctor and philanthropist Axel Munthe (1857-1949) that Henry James called "the most fantastic beauty, poetry, and inutility that one had ever seen clustered together." The villa is set around Roman-style courtyards, marble walkways, and atriums. Medieval choir stalls, Renaissance lecterns, and gilded statues of saints are all part of the setting, with some rooms preserving the doctor's personal memorabilia. A spectacular pergola path overlooking the entire Bay of Naples leads from the villa to the famous Sphinx Parapet, where an ancient Egyptian sphinx looks out toward Sorrento.
Now that you've worked up an appetite, your guide will recommend several lunch options that will give you a true taste of southern Italy.
Departures: 09:30 AM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: - The price of this tour includes your private gozzo trip, a guide for the day, the funicular ride, and your choice of adventure atop Anacapri.
- The price of this tour does NOT include the hydrofoil from Naples or Sorrento and back, entrance into the Blue Grotto, lunch, or beverages.
- Entrance to the Blue Grotto is not guaranteed due to possible high tides. The entrance fee of €13 is to be paid directly prior to entry.
- You will have about an hour of free time in Capri, depending on if you decide to have a leisurely lunch or grab something on the run.
- In season, the hydrofoils become very busy traveling back and forth from Naples to Capri. It is not uncommon to have to stand. We suggest you arrive early, especially for your return.
- It is also true that the funicular becomes very busy at the end of the day, so we recommend that you leave in plenty of time. If there is a long line at the funicular as you leave the island, we suggest that you take a taxi. Even if you have a pre-purchased ticket (which you can sell to someone in line), it is worth avoiding the line to ensure your spot on the hydrofoil.