- Private walking tour and guide
- 1.5 mile hike (each way) along the Cliff Walk
- Pass by 12 mansions
- Incredible scenery and photo opportunities!
There's nothing that brings Newport and the Gilded Age to life like a stroll along Cliff Walk. Located on the eastern shore of Newport, Rhode Island, this world-famous public access walk combines the natural beauty of the Newport shoreline with the area's rich architectural history.
Escorted by your private guide, who has written several books recounting the colorful stories of the families who occupied these waterfront mansions, you'll get a real flavor for the era. Your informative guide will share many interesting tales, separating fact from fiction, as you walk alongside him.
Cliff Walk began as a deer path. Native Americans followed those deer and the path became more defined. Today, most of the path is paved and you'll stay on that portion of Cliff Walk. Your guide will lead you a distance of 1.5 miles (in each direction) of the full 3.5-mile trail. You'll see many magnificent mansions and will be walking as far as The Breakers, the famous estate that was built in 1895 by Cornelius Vanderbilt II. The history of these seaside mansions, about 12 of which you will pass, is fascinating.
This tour is a great way to get out and enjoy the fresh Atlantic air while taking in the views of these amazing private homes.
Departures: 09:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 01:00 PM, 02:00 PM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: - We recommend that you wear comfortable shoes and bring a bottle of water.
- If you are arriving by cruise ship, you will meet your guide using the directions on your voucher and he will accompany you to public transportation. For a fee of $2 per person, the bus will bring you to the start of the walk. This will eliminate 1.5 miles of walking each way, if you choose to use the bus to return as well. This will also give you more time with your guide on the trail.
- If you have access to a car, you may meet your guide as described on your voucher. He will direct you from the backseat of your car to the start of the walk, where you can park and begin the true tour.