- Round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier or your hotel in a private vehicle
- English-speaking driver
- Licensed guide for 2 hours in Herculanem
- Walking tour of Herculaneum
- Lots of amazing discoveries!
Unlike Pompeii, Herculaneum was a seaside resort, a smaller town with a wealthier population at the time of its destruction. Covered by a torrent of mud, rather than ash, the ruins are in some ways even better-preserved than those of Pompeii. Because the site was more protected from atmospheric agents and illegal excavators, here you will find a natural preservation of wooden elements, fabrics, and architecture.
Excavations began by accident in 1709 when some workers were digging a well. They discovered a wall, which was later discovered to be one of the stages of the ancient theatre. Later, many human skeletons were uncovered at the ancient shoreline, suggesting that numerous inhabitants attempted to escape, but perished when mountains collapsed and volcanic gases were released.
Embark on a walking tour through the well-preserved Roman villas with portico gardens, fountains, and baths. Admire the wall frescoes and floor mosaics, which are still as they were when the eruption began.
Departures: 08:30 AM,
Meeting instructions: Specific pick up or taxi instructions will appear on your voucher after you purchase your trip.
Special instructions: - The guided portion of this tour is 2 hours long.
- We highly recommend comfortable walking shoes be worn for this excursion as the terrain is very muddy and rugged.
- The price of this tour does not include the per person entrance fee of 11€ to Herculaneum.