By Aaron Gulley
With 64 editions in 164 years, the World’s Fair – now dubbed Expo – is going strong, and yes, it’s still exciting and relevant. In fact, the upcoming edition, Expo Milano 2015 (May 1 through October
31) might prove the tastiest yet. Some 144 countries will present ideas and technology on the theme of “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life.” Expo has a history of debuting delicacies – Belgian waffles in 1958, for instance – but in case discovering the next gelato isn’t tempting enough, Cirque du Soleil will launch Allavita!
, created exclusively for Expo and performed May 6 through August 23 in its open-air theater.
Explore the Expo on Monograms’ three-day Milan tour, which includes transportation, entry to the event, and a local host to show you around Expo.
The 106-room Park Hyatt Milan has created Expo experiences that pair three days at
the fair with dining at a trio of Michelin-starred restaurants, including the hotel’s own modern- Italian kitchen, Vun.
After exploring the pavilions, there are more ways to dodge crowds than by ducking into boutiques. “The shopping is incredible, but the city also has many gorgeous parks,” says Virtuoso travel advisor Melissa Rosenbloum, who splits her time between Atlanta, Georgia, and Breckenridge, Colorado. “Indro Montanelli Public Gardens is the perfect place to escape Milan’s noise and commotion.”
Top 10 Travel Destinations for 2015:
Originally appeared in Virtuoso Life magazine, January 2015.
- Europe for Less: The Balkans
- Honeymoons: French Polynesia or Maldives
- Culture: Milan (You are here!)
- Safari: South Africa
- The Emerging Destination: Myanmar
- City Escape: Paris
- Supernatural Nature: The Galapágos
- Family Travel: Costa Rica
- Close to Home: Napa Valley
- Adventure Travel: New Zealand